As readers increasingly consume news and journalism online, it has become important for journalists to be able to publish and be discovered on the Internet. It isn’t hard to setup and run a website and publish your stories or blogs. One of the best and easy to use tools out there to setup and run a website of your own is WordPress.
It started as a blogging platform but now it’s much bigger than that. Its versatile enough to be a blog or a content management system. It has become one of the most preferred platform for independent, community and even commercial journalism efforts. Some of the well known journalism sites that use WordPress are
Suffice to say that it’s a really powerful platform. Even with all this, WordPress is extremely user friendly to set up and run. Its theme is easy to design and play around. Its plugin system makes it easy to add or remove functionality.
In this workshop we will aim to setup a WordPress Content Management System to run a online journalism site. As part of the workshop we will learn to
- Search and Buy Domain
- Setup WordPress hosting
- Setup a clean theme
- Customize themes with headers, sidebars and footers
- Setup some essential plugins for SEO, Twitter Cards, FB Open Graphs, Google SiteMap, Newsletters, Simple polls and forms etc
- Setup a podcast if interested (we can even submit to iTunes)
- How to backup your site & save your data
- Set up your own e-mail accounts
- Caching for higher traffic
What do you need to bring
- Firefox browser
- Credit card or bank account for buying the domain and hosting
- Interest to learn
Date: July 18 and half of 19.
Location: Winjit Technologies, Phoenix Crescent, Rest House Road, Off Museum Road, Bangalore- 560001
About the Trainer
Thejesh G N is a Bengaluru based independent technologist and the co-founder of DataMeet, a community of data science and open data enthusiasts. He has conducted many training sessions for data enthusiasts, journalists and fellow technologists over the last few years.